Housing benefit

Housing Benefit can help you pay your rent if you’re unemployed, on a
low income or claiming benefits. It’s being replaced by Universal Credit.

You can only make a new claim for Housing Benefit if one of the following is true:

· You’re getting the severe disability premium, or are entitled to it

· You got or were entitled to the severe disability premium within the last month and are still eligible for it

· You have reached State Pension age

· You live in temporary accommodation

· You live in sheltered or supported housing with special facilities such as alarms or wardens

If not, you’ll need to claim Universal Credit instead

You can use a benefits calculator to check if you can get Housing Benefit before you apply:

· Entitled To

· Policy In Practice

· Turn2Us

Information on Housing Benefit

How much do I get?

This depends on your personal and financial circumstances. The maximum housing benefit you can get is the same as your ‘eligible’ rent. This may not be the same amount as your full rent. We will always clearly state in our charges which part of the rent and service charge is eligible for housing benefit.

How much is paid?

Housing benefit is usually paid straight into your rent account, but it may also be paid direct to you if you prefer. If you owe us more than eight weeks rent, we can ask for it to be paid direct to us.

How can I claim?

Please contact your local authority if you would like to claim housing benefit. They will ask you to complete a form in order to make your claim. It can take several weeks before you hear the result of your claim. In the meantime, we will still be charging you rent. You must start making payments towards your rent as soon as you move in, or you will owe us money. Your local authority will notify you when your claim has been assessed. They will also tell you how much of your weekly rent will be paid by housing benefit and how much of your rent you have to pay yourself.

Once you have received this information you must contact the Service Centre as soon as possible to confirm your rent payments and to discuss the repayment of any arrears that you may have outstanding.

What if my circumstances change?

You must tell your local authority immediately if your circumstances change as this may affect your housing benefit.

Such changes may include a change in your income, taking in a lodger, or a change in circumstance of someone else in your household

Get in Touch

If you would like to speak to someone, or find out more about the support available, you can contact the team directly:

0300 020 0549
Email us