Work placement FAQs

Here you’ll find answers to our most frequently asked questions when applying for a work placement with Southern Housing Group.

Can I apply for a work placement if I have a disability?

Absolutely! If you tell us about any disabilities you have in your application form, we’ll endeavor to make all reasonable adjustments should you be invited for assessment and interview. Should your application be successful we will also make sure you have the support you need.

Can I apply for a paid work placement if I’m under 18?

Unfortunately, No.  We currently offer 14 -16 hours paid work.

If you are a school leaver you must do one of the following until you’re 18:

  • Stay in full-time education, for example at a College
  • Start an apprenticeship or traineeship
  • Spend 20 hours or more a week working or volunteering, while in part-time education or training

How long will my work placement last?

Depending on the role, your work placement will last between 3 – 6 months maximum. However, while on your work placement you are free to seek other employment opportunities with southern housing group or another employer and can end your work placement at anytime subject to giving us at least 2 weeks notice.

While on a work placement if your circumstances change or things don’t work out, let your supervisor and work placement officer know.

How much will I be paid?

You will be paid the National Minimum Living Wage depending on your age. 

What hours can I work?

You can work from 14 hours up to a maximum of 16 hours per week. You will need to agree the days you would like to work and actual hours with your supervisor at the start of your work placement. 

There is some flexibility to change the days or hours worked should your circumstances change. This will need to be agreed with your supervisor and the work placement officer.

Can I claim benefits while on a paid work placement?

Yes – but it is your responsibility to seek advice from the Department for Work and Pensions and your Local Authority on the financial implications paid work may have on any benefits claimed. You can also contact our community investment help-line 01403 220 434 or to get help and advice from one of our Financial Skills Officers. 

At the end of your work placement, if you’re receiving benefits it is your responsibility to let the Department for Work and Pensions and Local Authority know when your circumstances change.

What skills will I need?

That depends on the role you’re interested in. Some work placement roles will require particular skills.  The role description will set out the requirements of each role, and if you’d like to discuss the requirements our Work Placement Officer can help.

Will Southern 360 and Southern Housing Group pay my expenses?

We will only pay your expenses incurred as part of the duties performed while on a work placement.  We will not pay your travel costs from your home to normal place of work.  You will also be responsible for your lunch costs.

Get in Touch

If you would like to speak to someone, or find out more about the support available, you can contact the team directly:

0300 020 0549
Email us